The Vault Toronto Rave Forum > Syrous Archive > 1st Generation
sigma
TITLE: Syrous #10 - ' The Day The Earth Stood Still '
DATE: September 16th 1995
AUDIO: SS {A} Kenny Ken {B} Dan {A}{B} Terry Mullen {A}{B}
ATTENDANCE: 3000

FEATURED DJ:
Dj Kenny Ken , DJ SS , MC Fearless

MEMORIES: Insane party. Crazy location. Imagine an empty Comerical Higrise or apartment complex without any walls on many of the floors. Imagine having to take an elevator to get to a chillout room.

DESIGN BY: (concept) Chris Smart, (work) Terry

user posted image
shinobi
What a wicked party. Speakeasy on the 9th floor if I remember correctly.
sigma
Dj Kenny Ken audio now online.

Unfortunatly the audio from the night isnt the best. Pretty distorted but its still a good listen.

More soon. smile.gif
Toxic
Incredible!

I recall this was around the time teh "HIghly Recommended" LP came out on Formation, and SS was dropping HUGE tunes. VIP versions of everything!

King Towers where an incredible space, even if only used a few times,.. ( Pleasure Force also put the venue to good use )

Introducing to the wooooooooorld.... Kenny Ken!
flexxx_n'_relaxxx
this was def one of my fav syrous parties ever!!!
king towers was the one of the illest venues .. and kenny, fearless and SS absolutely
rInsEd OuT dA bUmBaCLot pLAcE! pure selection gwanin that night for sure
sigma
1 of 2 stickers for this event. The other was a chrome silver sticker. like a mirror smile.gif
skittzz
got any syrous stickers u dun need or posters ??? biggrin.gif
sigma
got lots wink.gif

stay tuuuuuuned
SmoothOperator
I think I've still got that sticker kicking around! lol Oh, because we lived in the london area...we had to drive to toronto every weekend for our fun. Anyways our trusty steed (Caravan tongue.gif ) had plenty of Syrous stickers adorning it. hahaha
Every now and then, somebody would recognize them...and give us the thumbs up!

hehehe Noice!!

Oh, and this was another KILLER party! I'm eating this up! Took some hard thinking to remember if I was there or not.....But alas, I was! lol

Anybody else remember getting this specific flyer at this party.... It was perforated like a sheet of acid. Shit can't remember what company/party it was for. Anyways I'm positive I have one in my "box 'o' memories".....I'll have to look!!
sigma
oh i know that flyer. i'll post it when i get home from work smile.gif
cool concept
SmoothOperator
Found it! And in MINT shape! lol
It was for a "Subliminal Influence Network" party. It's got an Angel (smokin a fatty) on the left side, and the devil (reading a bible) on the right.
Pretty cool flyer for sure!
sigma
QUOTE (SmoothOperator @ Jan 14 2004, 01:09 AM)
Found it! And in MINT shape! lol
It was for a "Subliminal Influence Network" party. It's got an Angel (smokin a fatty) on the left side, and the devil (reading a bible) on the right.
Pretty cool flyer for sure!

What date is it? I have a scan but only of the front. I'll have to dig it up again for a full scan.

Can you let me know the date for the event. sometime in 95?
SmoothOperator
QUOTE (sigma @ Jan 14 2004, 01:18 AM)
What date is it? I have a scan but only of the front. I'll have to dig it up again for a full scan.

Can you let me know the date for the event. sometime in 95?

Well if I send you my doubles...you'll get a copy. I have another, with just one of the perforations taken out. wink.gif Maybe I tested it just to be sure. lol

Anyways, the party was held on October 14th 1995. With 'PROTOTYPE 909' doing a live pa, and 'Din' as headliners.
Shit man, I just went through a box of old flyers sorting them out by date. I'm beat!
sigma
Here you go. Thread started. http://thecommunic8r.com/thevault/index.php?showtopic=170

cool.gif
Variant
That was my alltime favorite flyer. Loved the design.. when i had my flyer wall the section around this flyer is where it was at. Think i still have my copy? Hell no.. ex took it!

I walk by that building on King almost daily.. everytime i still peer into the main hallway where some suits are usually standing and picture security frisking.

- bad memory - .. i was behind Jennstar in the lineup.. god that sucked.
Toxic
QUOTE (Variant @ Jan 15 2004, 04:26 PM)

lol!!
sigma
QUOTE (Variant @ Jan 15 2004, 11:26 AM)

Oh the pain. I couldnt stand that chick. Wonder were she is now.
SmoothOperator
QUOTE (sigma @ Jan 15 2004, 09:32 PM)
QUOTE (Variant @ Jan 15 2004, 11:26 AM)

Oh the pain. I couldnt stand that chick. Wonder were she is now.

I was going to say something along these lines, and refrained cause I didn't know if you folks knew her or not. blink.gif

She was quite the spectical sometimes...definately outspoken.

And, I'm sure she's gotta be serving fries somewhere now. smile.gif hehe just kidding
Variant
That was one of the first times I actually saw her.. for some reason I always pictured this emaculate ultra good looking diva chick. I was unpleasantly surprised.

She was right up there with Shep and the Burger King Crew for jokes in the scene.
sigma
Lazers on the Jungle floor. unknown photographer.

user posted image
SmoothOperator
I totally remember those crazy blue/green lasers. They made for a crazy atmosphere...loved it!
CyanAura
I still have the SS/Kenny Ken/Fearless tape of this night. I caught these sets just in time . good memory: walking up the stairs after entering the party just in time to hear ruffrida spinning the old "ultrabeat" hardcore that was around at the time. I still remember sitting in the chill out room upstairs when someone was playing the same quote over and over for what seemed like 20 minutes "how are you? fine thankyou". no music, just words. drove me nuts. overall, wicked party; lived up to the "day the earth stood still" name. Venue was great too, still take time out to go past it when in the area.
brampton boy
my tape broke of this one.

had an original from a friend of mine and a buddys car ate the tape.

Kenny's intro was insane!
sigma
Dj Dan audio now online

AUDIO - {A}{B} - 90min
sigma
Dj SS 'Highly Recommended' Syrous Studio Mix now online.
http://thecommunic8r.com/thevault/index.php?showtopic=805
Peecee Pee
Remeber I Was Pisses When I Picked These Tapes Up
Thought My Copy Was Defective.
I Still Have The DJ Dan Tape, Only House Tape I Have
Guess That Why No One Stole It.

The Studio Mixes SS & Kenny Ken Put Out For Syrous Were Tight.
Used To Play Those Tapes 3-4 Times In A Day On A Boombox In A Backpack Back In Highschool.

Got A Copy Of The SS Off A Friend Recently
Hopefully I Can Come Cross The Kenny Ken Mix Soon.
stokes
The kenny one is the exact one ive been lookin for hi and low!!! Fuckin wickidly sick intro!! Tape was tight as hell!!!
anyone there got it??? sigma u must have it for sure.
swindla007
maybe you can do the terry mullen meditate.gif next? i know you want to...cmon now... uuglowstick.gif drugz.gif
swindla
sigma
MAILING LIST RETURNS

41 Syrous Members sent in there Questionnaires between September and November 1995. Here are the results.

1. Favorite Toronto DJ.

Dominik - (7 votes)
Mystical Influence - (6)
Sniper - (5)
Mark Oliver - (5)
Danny Henry - (4)
Murat - (3)
John E - (3)

2. Favorite International DJ.

Mickey Finn - (6)
Kenny Ken - (4)
Darren Jay - (3)
Hype - (3)
Dj SS - (2)
Sasha - (2)
Randall - (2)
Moby - (2)
Dentist - (1)

3. Favorite MC

Reality - (7)
GQ - (6)
Dr. No - (4)
EZ - (2)

4. Do you go to Clubs?

20 - YES
12 - NO

5. Favorite Radio Stations

Energy 108 - (16 votes)
89.5 CIUT - (13 )
88.1 CKLN - (7)
None - (7)
103 - (6 votes)
105 - (4 votes)

Theres a total of 30 questions on the mailouts and the answers vary for all the other options.
sigma
found in my files. unknown photographer

Dj SS far bottom. MC Fearless, Sound guy, and some junglist
SmoothOperator
Was there an upstairs level that wasn't quite so busy at this event? I swear I remember it being in that King St. highrise. Anyways i recall standing up there with some friends, when I see this guy in my peripheral vision. He had his hands in his pockets, just standing there, and he fell flat on his face.
He must've been HIGH off his ass cause he literally just toppled over for no reason. I also remember hearing his face his the pavement. Sounded like someone took a handful of ground beef and threw it on the ground lol. ouch.
Angelus
had a great time @ this party.

didnt leave the jungle room for nothing lol.

KennyKen intro was siiiick.

edit- i remember me & my friends being like the first people inline & we were chillin right up untill Kenny came on, when that intro hit it was ooonnnn.
pukka
this was a great party also...kinda defined that jungle was here to stay in toronto

anyone remember the crazies in the front giving bo shots to the dj
congonatty420
wikkid site sigm...thnx
Brandonsweet
I can't believe it's been ten years since I first added this flyer to my bedroom flyer wall. Crazy!

I reviewed the DJ Dan tape in my mixtape blog in honour of the occasion here.
sigma
Audio Upgraded to 128kbps stereo

Check The above links. Should be ready in an hour.
chitowndnb
QUOTE(sigma @ Mar 31 2005, 07:49 AM) *

found in my files. unknown photographer

Dj SS far bottom. MC Fearless, Sound guy, and some junglist

Hell no! that dude is wearing a red Dub Shack Shirt,
Chicago representing in Toronto!
Aboogie
The DJ Dan tape was played a million times back in the day!!

What a fucking trip this site is. Major kudos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
esoteric
SS and Fearless:

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.